Here are the minutes from the last CCA meeting on 26th February 2020
IMPORTANT NOTE: We note that there are many meetings and get-togethers planned which are listed in these minutes, including the next CCA meeting – in light of the current Coronavirus situation don’t take any dates for granted – check with the organisations involved before you turn up to anything listed, or keep an eye on the CCA website (caerlaverock.org.uk) and Facebook page (facebook.com/caerlaverockcommunity) for latest updates.
26th February 2020
Caerlaverock Community Association Minutes
Held at the Nith Hotel, thank you for the kind use of the function room.
Apologies from David & Kathleen Buoy, Billy & Shirley Little, Jane Baxter and Sue Greig.
David Gilbert (Chair) welcomed all, matters arising:
CHRISTMAS MEAL AT HUTTON HALL
Christmas meal, Kelly Green noted was well attended. Donations from CCA £300 towards the costs of the Hutton Hall organising it. This support is much appreciated.
For any seniors (11 of them to be exact) who weren’t able to come along, houseplants (pots of roses) were delivered, which were received with appreciation.
GRASSCUTTING AT THE QUAY
Innes was given a gift token as a little minding for his help in keeping the grass short and tidy, around the Quay End – Thank you Innes.
(It will be coming up to the first cut of the season soon so volunteers needed!)
2020 CAERLAVEROCK CALENDAR
Calendar sales this year – all were sold, and thank you to people who contributed and bought them, especially being organised later than we would have liked. (Less were printed this year, to allow for the late printing and to be able to sell them all before year end.) Thanks once again to the outlets for selling these – The Boathouse, Nith Hotel and Vintage on the Nith.
The profit after printing costs came to £550, being split equally between Caerlaverock Primary School, Barbour Hall, and Hutton Hall.
(More info: https://www.caerlaverock.org.uk/2020-calendar-update-thank-you-everybody/)
Next year we will try for “right 3rd time” and have:
- Captions on photos
- Pay a bit more for some thicker paper
- Have a foldable A4 version. A4 pic on top, A4 calendar numbers below, so they are larger to write notes on but can still be posted easily.
- We will keep the multiple images per month from several photographers as it lets lots of people get their pics in it, this was received well.
More photos needed for 2021, please send in your photos caerlaverockcommunity@gmail.com : with captions as to where the pic was taken and what the subject was.
MEMORIAL BENCH
David Logan’s memorial bench is in place sitting nicely installed at the Nith Inshore Rescue – thank you to Jaclyn Irving who organised this, and for all those who generously donated towards the cost.
A total of £682 was raised from friends in the community, with the CCA adding to the pot with £200. There are some funds to help with some access steps for those not so spritely, which Robbie Cowan says will be installed.
Do go along to the NIR and have a seat with the views towards Criffel or up the Nith towards Kelton being clear and uninterrupted from this point.
(More info: https://www.caerlaverock.org.uk/memorial-bench-at-nith-inshore-rescue-for-revd-david-logan/)
GENERAL REPORTS
Thank you to Jaclyn Irving, Community Police Constable:
Jac has a mobile number to call for NON EMERGENCY concerns (where you would normally call 101) The number is 07817 046972. Jaclyn will monitor this and if she doesn’t get back to you immediately, it will normally be within 24hrs.
For emails to Jaclyn, please use: 1593706@scotland.pnn.police.uk
(Remember to always call 999 in an emergency.)
Jaclyn is keen to make sure everybody is very aware of fraud – it’s a big thing. There was a fraud issue concerning a resident in Kelton, that was caught in time before a large amount of money was transferred. The scam session and information on the CCA website has helped by making the community more aware of fraudsters online and offline. Jac says as a result, people weren’t rushed into making a decision, but called her and a costly scam was averted. If in doubt, stop and think and get help.
(More info: https://www.caerlaverock.org.uk/scam-session-at-the-nith-update/)
There was a livestock attack near Bankend – being reported to be worst event seen so far, and investigations are ongoing. If you see dogs out themselves, call 101.
In lambing season, attacks on livestock are a major issue – and should be called livestock attack, rather than sheep worrying.
There are firearms and shotguns scams too, if you hear of a request from the police regarding safekeeping of your firearms and asking for your firearms certificate, report this. If this was to happen, it would only be from a uniformed police officer. It would NOT be a courier, and the police will NOT ask you to give them your certificate for them to take away.
There was a Safe Internet day at the School, which is an important issue, making everybody aware of apps that are not safe. Tik-Tok especially is a concern.
(More info: This site has good information on 15 apps parent’s should know about:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/15-apps-your-childs-smartphone-17499686)
There have been flytipping issues around the whole parish, reported by several members of the community. If you see anybody flytipping, take their registration, note the area involved and report it to Jac.
FINANCIAL REPORT
Total income for period £1692.90 but includes £540 for calendars to be paid out. Net CCA income is £1152.90 against expenditure of £1,271.92. CCA continues to have a healthy financial position with a balance of £7,548.1 sufficient to cover our years budget
In general donations are down compared to last year. David noted that this was disappointing considering the amount of vans that have been staying at Castle Corner, but the CCA is in a healthy position to cover the items on the budget for the coming year.
A minimum donation was discussed, points being that it lets visitors know a certain amount as a suggestion, but this could backfire as some visitors are generously donating more. Decision to leave as is.
It was noted that some visitors may not have cash handy to donate in the box, but there is already a donation link on the website which is published on the noticeboards at the motorhome parking areas.
It was noted that the donation box at castle corner is really wet – is this putting people off donating? Robbie says it should drain away but the water table in winter rises, its expensive to maintain and fix. Will be investigated.)
NITH INSHORE RESCUE
Robbie reported the situation at the NIR. Some great headlines – two large grants which will help with crucial replacement of equipment.
The department of Transport government fund was £69k, which will cover the replacement of the outboard engines in St John boat. As a charity, the NIR can’t afford to replace these with normal income. It was chosen to replace three outboard engines, which means there is one on standby and can be swapped over in case of any issue, allowing operations to continue. £85k was the target, and this amount will go towards this.
Other facilities will need replaced too, and £15k was received from EON Windfarm and Robin Rigg – so the NIR is in a good place right now allowing them to futureproof the equipment for another ten years.
Robbie thanked the community for their continued support, as annual running costs are supported by donations, the Tote and fundraising. The NIR relies very much on this and a big thank you.
(More info: Join the Tote! https://caerlaverock.org.uk/join-the-nith-inshore-rescue-tote/)
NIR Open day this year is proposed to be in May, and further information will follow.
SCHOOL REPORT
Thank you to Lindsay Henderson:
Outdoors – the kids busy working on the garden – if there are green fingered members of the community to help maintain the garden – during Easter holidays and summertime, when nobody is there. Contact Mr Tennant at the School if you can help.
The “mugga” the tarmacked area which is open to public use after school time – does anybody have a powerwasher to help get rid of the slippy moss? Have asked council but no positive response. Don’t know whose responsibility that part is, but as it is open for public use after hours and can be used by anybody. Whilst it would be good to have it powerwashed this could damage the surface so may be better to use moss killer first and consider the result
Next item is fundraising, for a few years the School has been raising funds for the outdoor fitness walk facility – because it is a wee school, grants are not forthcoming. There are fundraising events in the diary, such as a Fun Day and a Ceilidh, dates will follow. The amount raised to date is about half way, as there are multiple quotes the price is coming down because of competition, but more needs to be raised before anything can proceed.
Last point, the school intake, 1 confirmed in, 2 going out, roll is 27. Concern if drops to 25 could possibly lose a teacher. Hopefully the houses along the shore road may be built and families will come in and add to the school roll.
There were comments about how the floorspace area could be reduced by renting out a room, reduces the capacity which makes a difference to how the school space is viewed. Also a comment about how the pupil to teacher ratio is changing which is also a concern.
(No Kirk Report)
HUTTON HALL REPORT
Thank you to Kelly Green.
Kelly reiterates thanks for all who came and helped at the seniors Christmas meal – was awful weather, but 70 people came along to be fed and watered in style.
The Family Christmas party was also brilliant, 31 children came along with family members too, and thank you to the anonymous Santa!
No meeting yet with Committee at Hutton Hall, but there will be an East Egg hunt – does anybody want to help, just contact Kelly (Email: kellyskidzcare@hotmail.com)
Council has been out to look at building, concerns about the windows – these have been measured, but when they will be fitted is uncertain.
BARBOUR HALL
Thank you to Lynda Anderson
Re repairs and the state of the hall – it requires funding and getting a group together to address this. Concerns are water ingress outside, the exterior really needs sorted out in the next 6 to 12 months to avoid long term damage that will cost more to fix.
The Film club has been a great success, with help from Driftwood Cinema. Jac mentioned the cinema was great, especially for the kids.
(More info: https://www.caerlaverock.org.uk/caerlaverock-cinema-club-feb-apr-film-schedule-announced/)
Soup Socials are now monthly, which are bringing in a lot of community members for soup and a great array of tray bakes to be washed down with tea or coffee. Minimum donation is £1.
There was community engagement day at the hall for ideas, that information will be assessed.
CAERLAVEROCK ESTATE
Gordon Kerr provided the following points in an email and sends his apologies.
- With the support of the Estate, Historic Environment Scotland are looking to improve the visitor experience at Caerlaverock Castle and are starting phase 1 with an improved access and carpark facility that has recently been submitted for planning. Subject to funding, HES hope to create an improved visitor centre and internal site infrastructure.
- Trees along Shore Road will be planted before the end of March in the planting season. As previously mentioned, it is also the Estate’s intention to create some pockets of woodland / amenity planting on the Estate where land use permits.
- The Estate are supporting the creation of allotments on land under tenancy with John Jamieson, who is in direct contact with Rob Wells & Sue Greig in reference to the allotments. The Estate hopes the take up for allotments is well supported and residents relish the opportunity to ‘grow their own’.
- And finally, Lady Clare has donated a sandstone gatepost to the memorial walk of Rev David Logan and looks forward to walking the trail.
Robbie added that this was a good bit of sandstone, Steven Jackson will expertly work on it. It will be situated up the top of quay hill, countersink the stone into the dyke with some signage at bottom to direct people towards the Kirk, and the walk by Greenmill Cottage will be called the David Logan Memorial Walk.
Lady Mary Memorial Wood will be planted (details to follow).
COUNCIL MATTERS
Issue of the Glencaple to Kingholm Quay walkbridge on north side of Kelton – is it going to be replaced? David Gilbert met with SNH and D&G Council a couple of years aog. There is no easy fix it was reported, and a response is needed from the Council as this path is no longer on the list of core paths because of the lack of bridge.
Housing developers on the shore road – there should be a £30k amount from this – DG questioned who benefits and what is happening with it. This is neeeds following up through the Council as it was for open space provision. The playing field no longer exists.
20mph – outside school – still no news despite this being a Council resolution? DG will write to Council about this.
The state of the potholes on the roads was mentioned, the online reporting result should be used. Without a timeframe for the works to be done, some potholes are getting larger and larger.
Jac mentioned that the school kids can be given access to a speed gun to measure speeds outside the school. David noted that a third of the vehicles are over 30mph from the Council’s statistics, never mind 20mph.
Ronnie Clark brought up the issue of the bridge at Brow Well – there was a rumour about it being closed again. It has been shored up, further information would be needed to ensure this does no impact the community again.
CAERLAVEROCK ALLOTMENTS
Thank you to Rob Wells & Sue Greig as organisers.
(More info: https://www.caerlaverock.org.uk/allotments-are-coming-to-caerlaverock/)
With the support of the Estate and John Jamieson, land can be taken at the side of the Barbour Hall.
Proposal is that it won’t extend behind the line of the back boundary of the hall, but be level with it. It can continue up the hill as much as may be necessary, with John Jamieson noting that the eastern boundary is flexible . This should provide enough allotments, with 13 people noting interest in an allotment. Plots mooted to be 5 x 20m. Layout depends on how many people and how it lays out on the site. Will need to go and peg it out to find out, Ian Brown offered to help.
Intention is CCA will take overall responsibility, but the day to day running, will be an Allotment Association, made up of people who will hold allotments. This will be for one year on a trial basis, no charge.
The Barbour Hall committee agreed car park can be used for allotmenters as long as no event is on.
Gate access will be arranged, possibly at the rear of the Hall with approval. The existing gate may be needed by JJ or for deliveries of allotment supplies in due course. Water is available as there is a pipe down the boundary – water point is on the opposite site near the School boundary.
Thank you to John Jamieson who will, during March, plough and manure the field as normal, and plots will be available after this.
It was put to the floor to assess agreement for the proposal. All were in agreement, but it was noted that there could be concerns as to the visibility of untidy structures. This is why the CCA will take overall responsibility noted David, so that there is oversight and control in case of such issues.
The first trial year will not allow any structures to be built as it is, so this will be open for discussion in future years. It will also be important to keep it tidy, and any grass cut. There will be clear rules and restrictions from the committee for all members to adhere to. No chemicals will be allowed on the first year trial if not permanently and for discussion with JJ as to what will be permitted to protect his farming operation.
It was asked that the word be spread about the allotments, so that the community can benefit from their provision. It was confirmed that the allotments should be for Caerlaverock residents only.
The area wont be fenced initially. There is no cost to anybody apart from time spent – may need money from the association to pay for pegs. Organisation and payment for anything else will be up to the members to organise.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Kelly Green (email: kellyskidzcare@hotmail.com)
Early Learning and Childcare provision:
(More info: https://www.caerlaverock.org.uk/early-learning-and-childcare-provision-in-caerlaverock/)
The government have introduced an increase in hours for nursery provision and early learning – this has been doubled. Childminders can apply and be inspected – which Kelly has done, and after inspection has got all 6’s – the highest rating you can get! Well done Kelly.
This means parents don’t have to go out of the community (up to Dumfries etc), as it is now available in Caerlaverock (Bankend)
DATE FOR NEXT MEETING (TUESDAY, not WEDNESDAY)
David Gilbert thanked everybody for coming along, and may see you all at the next meeting (which is on a TUESDAY 26th May 2020.)
Thank you as usual to the Nith Hotel for their kind use of the function room for the meeting.
Leave A Comment