Bee-line

With many thanks to Sue Greig for her time in writing these minutes.

“Many hands make light work”

If you can offer your time to help in any aspect of community life, it would be greatly appreciated by us all!

If you have suggestions for what needs done, or something that would improve things for the whole community, let us know, come along to the meetings, get involved! caerlaverockcommunity@gmail.com

Bee-line

 

Minutes of Caerlaverock Community Association Meeting

Wednesday 29th May 2019 in Nith Hotel, Glencaple

 

Present

Committee Members:  Ian Brown, David Buoy, David Gilbert (Chair), Malc Laurie (Vice-Chair), Rob Wells

Sue Gilbert, Malcolm Johnstone, Stephen Powell, Councillor Elaine Murray, Kathleen Conaghan, Denise Fuller, John Carson, Rona Carson, May Curry, Culver Curry, PC Jac Irving, Kelly Green, Marion Brown, Brenda Craik, Alison Robertson, Gail Stewart, Billy Little, Shirley Little, Tom Brown, Councillor John Campbell, Robbie Cowan, Kathy Usher, Sue Greig

 

Apologies

Lady Clare, Chris Jackson, Judith Mylne, Jane Baxter, Douglas Anderson, Hilary Roberts

 

  1. Community Police. PC Jac Irving introduced herself as our new community Police Officer.  She lives in Bankend and asked for this particular beat – she’s getting to know everybody and starting to know what the issues are.  She is working with local community and the Estate regarding suspicious vehicles in the area, poaching and anti-social behaviour.  Jac encouraged everyone to get in touch with her directly if they have concerns.  Up-date to 101calls coming.  The Contact Assessment Model is being trialled in D&G.  A central team will answer calls and decide what action to take. Reassurance that 999 calls will continue to be responded to immediately.  Suspicious vehicles is main issue.  Three reports to Robbie of suspicious vehicle in area – was tracked down in Eskdalemuir and believed to be involved in poaching and possible housebreaking.  So thanks go to locals in Caerlaverock  for their vigilance.  This is the time of year when criminals are scoping out possible break-ins so keep a look out for anything that doesn’t look right.   Jac also working with the school and has been out with SNH and WWT.

Tom Brown says a white transit van has been seen along the river and is believed to be involved in putting down drains to catch soft crabs which are worth a lot sold to crayfish fishermen.   The practice pollutes the river. Jac already noted the VRM this evening and will follow up.

 

  1. Matters Arising

Residential Development.  David Buoy reported no change but will keep checking on amount of mud on road.

Glamping Pods.  Robbie reported that Council has asked for full designs so application has been temporarily withdrawn while these are worked on.  Proposal will be resubmitted at a later date.   Pods are designed in very sensitive manner and will be sited in discrete location screened by newly planted trees.  Research has been carried out using a drone to ensure the pods won’t be seen from either Shore Road or the Estuary.  Anticipate no more than 2 or 4 cars on Glenhowan Road and visitors will be asked to approach from Glencaple.  In response Billy Little raised his concerns.  He said these pods are really chalets.  They are very substantial, designed for 4 adults with separate bedrooms and separate toilet & shower facilities and decking areas all of which were very hard to gauge from the initial plans. He went on to detail his objections to the pods which he feels would seriously impact on one of the most beautiful scenic areas including a clump of ancient woodland. Planning officers are now asking for full designs. He suggested that the only thing that would enhance the appreciation of the wonderful view would be an information board and a picnic bench. He encouraged people to take an interest in this matter and urged the Estate to reconsider.  Robbie reassured the meeting that there would be no more than two glamping pods and that he would take all the concerns raised at the meeting back to the Estate.

Stile at Wardlaw has been replaced.  Big thank you to the Estate.  Lot more accessible.

Compensatory tree planting will begin in the Autumn and will include the area where trees were removed.

Castle Corner Campsite waste disposal was out of order but now OK.  Good positive feedback from campers. Better not to have to have fixed charges and just ask for donation to Community.

Twenty is Plenty.  David Gilbert reported that the Council had sent a detailed response but basically they have made up their mind.  There have been no accidents and so it is not necessary.   The traffic monitoring strips have been put in and results are back.  Next step is for Council to discuss with Police Scotland.  On Glencaple Road – Average speed Northbound 29.9 and Southbound 25.3.  Average 27.6.  Vehicles traveling over the speed limit accounts for 1 in every 2 vehicles leaving village over speed limit.  In Church Street  Eastbound 26.8 and Westbound 25.1. Average 25.9.  25% of vehicles passing the school are over the speed limit.  Shore Road Northbound 25.4 and Southbound 27.2.  Average 26.3. Basically 19% of vehicles are coming in to village over speed limit and 34% going out.   We must continue to put pressure on the Council.  We must also put something on the website so everyone can see clearly what we expect in terms of speed.  PC Irving suggested putting a speed board up outside the school and getting pupils to draw motorists’attention to it. Elaine Murray urged us to keep on with the campaign – it’s what resulted in success at Locharbriggs.   She said reorganisation of Council Directorates might result in a different response.  John Campbell said perseverance was essential. Kathleen Conaghan said that new plans had been drawn up which showed bigger houses to be built on the new residential development without being passed by the planning committee – this could result in 50 to 75 more cars coming through the village.

Gordon Tennant (teacher at Caerlaverock Primary School) would like a professional poster made up which could include other relevant traffic safety issues like the fact we don’t have pavements.

Can’t put in speed bumps because of agricultural vehicles coming in and out of village.

Kelton Corner – David Gilbert has written to Police Scotland but because of limited resources nothing can be done at present to improve the situation. David Buoy pointed out that sign at Kelton (northbound) had never worked.  Rona Carson said that there had been there had been crashes and several near misses.  Denise Fuller said her son had had been injured in a serious accident there when a driver going at speed had collided with his car head-on.

Insurance: We have renewed public liability insurance covering volunteers and all activities.

Drains:  Wellington Street drain sorted. But still some issues with Scottish Water which David Gilbert will monitor.

Telephone Boxes:   Repainted and looking good.  Thanks to Gordon McNeil.

Grass Cutting:  Douglas won’t be doing this any more so we are looking for volunteers to mow the grass possibly on a rota.  One volunteer from Kelton. Thanks go to Douglas for all his work keeping the grass looking so good. NIRB mower has been used but it is now over 25 years old and doesn’t have all the safety features.  Maybe need to purchase a new machine to meet safety requirements.

Financial Report:    Income £1786.58   Expenditure £116.43.   Less £90 for insurance.  Less bill from Gordon for painting telephone boxes.  Balance of around £4,000.  Income comes from Honesty boxes on Quay and £100 from Vintage Car Rally.   Decision to buy mower (not a sit-on).    David Buoy to get some prices. 

NIRB Report:  Open Day was reasonably successful despite wet weather.  Busy with multi-agency training, first-aid refresher training, vital repairs, and compliance.  Five crew are taking part in Tough Mudder again.  May is an expensive month so fundraising efforts essential.  Just Giving site for fundraising.

Caerlaverock School Report: Designing and creating new garden area.  Sensory path – they are looking for donations of gravel, plastic piping, cork, roof tiles, bricks, woodchips etc.  Robbie to look for material.  Collecting plastic tops – please hand into school.   Need compost for garden area.   Next session the school role is going up from 24 to 27.

Caerlaverock Kirk Report:  Easter Service on Wardlaw was well attended.   Tartan Service on 30th June – everyone invited to wear tartan.  Celebrating Rural Mission Sunday with free B-B-Q on 14th July.  Church has been receiving complaints about iron railings and gates in Churchyard but these are not the responsibility of the Church.  Any complaints should be directed to Dumfries & Galloway Council.

Hutton Hall Report:  AGM on Thursday 30th May.  Problems with vandalism at Hall – youngsters wheel-spinning in car park and leaving broken glass in play-park.  Police are aware. Please pass any VRN to Jac. Could lock the gate but who would be responsible for locking and unlocking?   Autumn Fayre on 7th September.   Thanks to Jonathan and Martin Grieve who do a fantastic job cutting the grass.  Petrol money will be reimbursed.

Barbour Hall Report:  David Gilbert and Malc Laurie attended AGM and report will follow. Committee are keen that people use the hall more.  Anyone who has any ideas please get in touch.

SNH Report:  New fencing at Estate boundary so cattle can be grazed on the Merse.  Marsh harriers thought to be nesting in reed beds.  New stile at Castle Corner – but dog walkers should be aware of barbed wire.  Gail Stewart asked that SNH notify CCA of any path closures.

AOB

 Haaf-Netting:  Tom Brown, representing Nith Estuary Haaf-Netting Association outlined their plans for celebrating and publicising haaf-netting on the Nith.   Annan Half-Net Fishers have erected metal benches designed on the theme of haaf-nets and waves and he would like to do the same locally.  He circulated photos of the benches.  He would also like to set up a website.  The Association is putting in an application for funding to SWEAT (South West Environment Action Trust). He wanted to let the CCA know of this initiative and to ask anyone who has photographs of haaf-netting to dig them out and let Tom know. Wally Wright has reprinted his book of photos of haaf-netters.  Copies are available from Wally or from Nith Hotel.

Rubbish Collection:  Bins on the Quay are full to overflowing.  Guy & Ruby empty them frequently but they should be regular emptied by the Council on a Thursday.  David Gilbert has made two formal complaints to the Council.  He says the next will go to Scottish Local Government Ombudsman because the situation is completely unacceptable. Councillors said the situation should improve under new regime but they will take the issue up with council officials.

Build-up of Mud on Road to Dumfries:  May Culver raised the issue of the road at Netherwood getting narrower and narrower.  It is clogged with mud and the road is dangerously narrow.  Council to be asked to clear the road – also to clear the tree stump and falling wall.

Recycling:  Tom Brown wanted to know why the Council has failed to roll out an efficient recycling system.

Elaine Murray said that a system similar to Glasgow was soon to be introduced.

CCA Money:  Malc Laurie said he had been asked by several people where the CCA money goes.  David Gilbert replied that CCA made regular donations to local groups and that it was easy to see where the money went from minutes on the website.  He suggested that we budget to make regular donations to these groups. 

Cattle Crossing at Midtown Farm:   On behalf of his neighbour Mr & Mrs Graham, Ian Brown raised the issue of cattle crossing regularly just after the corner before the farm. There had been some very near misses and he wanted to know if there was any chance of getting a SLOW sign on the road.  The farm could put a cattle crossing sign on the verge but a SLOW sign on the road would be helpful.

First Aid Training: David Gilbert suggested that school pupils after ten years old or so should receive first aid training.  Suggested that teenagers get some form of first aid training at CCA’s expense.   Might also include water safety and defibulator training.  Agreed that David should take this forward. 

 

Date of Next Meeting: Wednesday 28th August 2019