Caerlaverock Community Association [CCA]

Minutes of Meeting held at the Nith Hotel, Glencaple

on 28th August 2019

Present:

David Gilbert, Douglas Anderson, Sue Gilbert , Ian Brown, Ronnie Clark, Helen Clark, John Carson, Cllr Elaine Murray, Cllr John Campbell, Cllr Malcolm Johnstone, Ward Officer Sean O’Toole. Kelly Green, PC Jac Irving, Gordon Kerr, Culver Curry, May Curry, David Buoy, Shirley Little, Alison Robertson, Tom Brown, Pamela Brown, Marion Brown, Kelly Green, Brenda Craik, Lyndsay Henderson, Judith Mylne, Robbie Cowan

Apologies:

Sue Grieg, Rob Wells, Chris Jackson, Lady Clare Kerr, Stephen Powell, Billy Little, Malcolm Laurie, Jane Baxter, Rona Carson,

 

Welcome

Chairperson, David Gilbert thanked everyone for coming.
Sadly we had lost David Logan our minister to cancer a week ago. David had worked hard to bring the church into the community and the community into the church. He was not at all like a traditional Church of Scotland minister. A minutes silence was held in David’s memory.

Matters arising from last meeting

Glamping Pods – DG noted as a matter of record a new application had been submitted on behalf of the Estate reference no.19/1295/Ful.  This was for change of use of agricultural land and siting of two bespoke structures together with access, parking and septic tank. He commended individuals to look at the online planning application and supporting documents including plans and to form their own views.

SL expressed her continued concerns about loss of agricultural land and in area that is often used and appreciated by members of the community. She emphasised that the application was for two units now but others could follow. The impact on Glenhowan could be significantly reduced by moving the nearest and largest (two bedroom unit) to the position of the second unit (Treehouse) and moving this latter further up. Both would still enjoy uninterrupted views whilst lessening impact on Glenhowan. She also considered that this would reduce parking required.

GK confirmed that he, S and B little had discussed the matter. He stated the estate would consider a planning condition limiting the development to two units.

 

Wellington Street Drains – DG confirmed that following his representation the drain cover had been refitted so that it was no longer a trip hazard. The other small pothole had not been repaired. He also commented that he had heard concerns expressed at the drainage capacity for the village in the light of the proposed new housing development. DB confirmed his understanding that Scottish Water would monitor as the development progressed

 

Grass Cutting – A mower has been purchased and a team lead by DB has a programme of regular mowing. DG in particular praised Innes for assisting in the community – a great example to the youth in the village. More volunteers would make life easier

 

Telephone Boxes – DG registered a formal vote of thanks to Gordon Macneil who had painted the boxes at no labour cost to CCA

 

First Aid – DG confirmed he had spoken to two providers of emergency first aid courses. Both could do sessions for up to 12 and at a push 15 individuals. Costs ranged between £450 and £600 per three or so hour course. The meeting resolved to continue to develop this initiative and DG/KG will investigate demand from age group 12-18 in the community

 

General Reports

Community Police- JI advised that there were no particular issues. She gave thanks for the reports of the van attempting to sell mattresses and emphasised how much easier it is to identify with a registration no. Noise complaints had been made and resolved. She was also assisting the school in teaching about personal safety/strangers.

 

Financial Report – DG reported that income for the period 29/05/19- 26/08/19 had been £2552.65 and expenditure £1078.99. The latter included the cost of the mower at £500 various costs for website, printing etc of £384.62. CCA account now stood in credit at £5832.81.

DG raised the issue of the cost of emptying the septic tank at Castle Corner. This facility was clearly valued by the comments from visitors to Caerlaverock. At present Caerlaverock Estate covered all of this cost, which was proving greater than expected due to popularity and use. At peak periods the tank needed emptying monthly at a cost of £220 a time. CCA received all of the income but bore none of the cost. DG asked CCA to consider contributing 50% of the net cost. It was unanimously agreed that this was fair (GK and RC kindly left the room for this discussion).

 

Nith Inshore Rescue – No official report received but DG acknowledged that the crew had attended numerous call outs during the summer (19 and 4 in the last week). RC confirmed and gave brief details of two threats to life recently.

 

Caerlaverock School – All relatively quiet as the new term commenced with a school roll of 28. Fund raising efforts were ongoing and materials for the sensory area still requested. SL offered piping if collected from Glenhowan.

 

Caerlaverock Kirk – No report in the current circumstances but the church dance at Barbour Hall on Friday.

JI said that she had spent about an hour and a half with David shortly before he died. He had said that if he was to be remembered in any way there were three things that could be considered:

  • The path to the Graveyard being named Minsters Way with appropriate wooden signs
  • A metal bench at Quay End
  • A wooden bench at the church

TB commented that the haaf netters were having two benches made up to a specific design with one to be sited at Quay End.

These points were debated and CCA agreed that the cost of the timber for the bench, and plaque would be paid out of its funds. JI would speak to the carpenter and ask him to price up in Scottish oak and revert to CCA.

 

Hutton Hall – KG reminded everyone of the forthcoming Autumn Fair and asked or donations of cakes bottles and other items for sale or prizes.

The Senior Xmas Dinner would take place again on 10 December and it was resolved that CCA would donate £500 as last year

They were trying to get a Zumba or other class off the ground if there was enough interest. SG agreed to speak to her Zumba Instructor.

Barbour Hall – No Report

SNH – had a series of events through the summer with more to follow in the autumn so watch the website. SNH were concerned that there had been incidents if tipping of garden waste that had potential to introduce biological contamination to the nature reserve. If anything suspicious is seen please report it.

 

Any Other Business

Toilets – DG reported that in an effort to save money D&G Council was consulting on closing local toilet facilities. M Laurie had attended a consultation meeting and opposed this. A letter is to go to D&G emphasising how important this facility was in a heavily used tourist area. This was needed for campervans, cyclists, walkers, fishermen, motorists and many organisations who held events starting or ending at the Quay.

 

Repairs – DB commented that a number of public items such as planters were falling into disrepair and may need replacing in the foreseeable future. DG suggested recycled plastic could be used and whether Norman Brown may be able to assist in construction; TB to ask him. DB to consider and enquire on materials

 

Litter and Fly Tipping – A number of instances of fly tipping had been noted. DG had reported failure to empty bins at Castle Corner; D&G had to their credit resolved in 24 hours. Concern that the bins at the Quay End and Castle Corner were for general litter and not for motorhomes to empty their accumulated waste. Polite notices to be considered.

 

Calendar- DG reminded everyone the competition is still open and good quality photos are still invited. Sponsorship is still open at £100/month. Keep your eye on the website and Facebook page for update soon.

 

Macmillan Coffee Morning – SG mentioned that she would be hosting a Macmillan Coffee Morning at Barbour Hall on 27 September for a couple of hours from 10.30. All are welcome but please let her know by email suecedrum@gmail.com or call  01387 770 605 so there are enough scones and cakes to go around!

 

Broadband – IB raised the issue that WWT were having problems and were pressing for a modern broadband service. DG had canvassed both Scottish and UK governments for improvements but had not received any sort of satisfactory answer.

 

Remembrance Sunday – DG raised the issue of last year’s service and asked what the CCA view was for this year. It was generally thought that last year was special as 100 year anniversary and that the service should not be repeated. It was generally agreed that it would be appropriate to light the Beacon, perhaps at sunset, as a traditional form of remembrance in Caerlaverock in addition to the usual service at the memorial. DG is also to consider a person to lay the wreath at the morning service.

 

Tree Planting – DB enquired as to the Estates proposal for replacement planting as previously promised. GK advised that this would be undertaken as part of a larger planting initiative on the estate. He expected this to take place it the traditional autumn/winter planting period

 

Speed signs – KG noted the batteries in the Bankend signs appear not to be holding charge. Cost of replacement approx £100 to be funded by CCA

 

Council Issues: EM responded to actions arising out of the last meeting

  • Speed Limits: Nationally determined speed limits are advisory and D&G has no plans to review these.
  • Cows Crossing at Midtown Farm, Blackshaw – a desktop study will be undertaken and a site visit if deemed necessary as an accident prevention measure
  • Speed Signs, Kelton Corner – South bound sign not operating due to loose connection on solar charger and now fixed and operating.
  • Road width reduced at Netherwood Cottages – a works order has been issued to scrape back verges
  • Complaints about condition of railings at Kirk – are Council responsibility and will need some work but not pressing or deemed health and safety issue. Community payback to be considered

 

Date of Next meeting:

Wednesday 27th November 2019, 7:30pm, Nith Hotel, Function Suite